December 31, 2012 A Review of 2012 and My Goals for 2013
It’s that time of year again: resolution time. I know people criticize resolutions, and I often have myself. That is why I like to call them goals. It’s good to have goals, they give you something to work towards and something to achieve and accomplish. Before I go into my much smaller list this year, let’s review last year’s list.
- BE ACTIVE AT LEAST 4X/WEEK. SCHEDULE ACTIVITY INTO CALENDAR. Yes! I managed to keep this one, and so proud of it!
- SCHEDULE APPOINTMENT WITH PHYSICAL THERAPIST TO GET TO THE ROOT OF MY KNEE PROBLEMS. Yeah… about that one. Just didn’t happen. I haven’t noticed problems with my knees as much this year. I think the root of the problem was just overwork. Hopefully this will stay away for a while.
- UPPER. BODY. STRENGTH. Got it. Lost it. Working on it again.
- UTILIZE FITBOOK AS A WAY TO TRACK PROGRESS. I wanted this to work for me. But logging how many calories you burn, how far you ran, how many minutes you were in a class, it’s just not fun for me. I just bought myself an Erin Condren life planner though, so hopefully this will allow me to keep on track with workouts without feeling overwhelmed.
- TRY 3 NEW WORK OUTS. INITIAL THOUGHTS INCLUDE CROSS FIT, BALLET WORKOUT (I HEAR THERE IS A BALLET GYM OPENING IN STAMFORD?) AND KICKBOXING. Granted I didn’t try any of these, but I did take a few new classes at the gym (atleast for me): Zumba, Yoga and Pilates. My roommate Kim and I took a Zumba class before XMAS and had the BEST time rocking out to Mariah’s “All I want for Christmas is you.”
- HOST DINNER FOR FRIENDS AT LEAST ONCE/MONTH. I think I did this if you count the few parties that Kim and I hosted. Olympics party and Christmas Cocktails were so much fun!
- PERFECT HOMEMADE DOUGH – UTILIZING MY NEW KITCHENAID MIXER! Done. I now have a flawless whole wheat dough and herbed pizza dough that I love! And my friend Rocky’s holiday card just came… with another recipe! Can’t wait to try it out. Thank you Rocky and Jason for your lovely card and recipe – it made my day!
- FIND A GO-TO HOMEMADE TOMATO SAUCE. Not. Didn’t even try.
- PUT TOGETHER RECIPE BINDERS AND ORGANIZE FOOD MAGAZINES [I NOW SUBSCRIBE TO COOKING LIGHT, BON APETIT AND FOOD & WINE!] Done. I have however cut myself back on subscriptions and only do Food & Wine and Glamour.
- USE GRILL PAN. I BOUGHT A QUALITY GRILL PAN DURING THE HURRICANE IRENE LOCKDOWN ONLINE AND IT’S BEEN IN THE BOX EVER SINCE. Has it really been over a year that I’ve had that gosh darn thing in my closet? Gotta do it.
- PREPARE, COOK, AND CARVE A TURKEY. I assisted in Thanksgiving this year (and hosted) and learned how to do the turkey. The secret? Bacon. Carving? Still gives me nightmares.
- GRILL A PIZZA. Did it all summer!
- USE ICE CREAM MAKER… AN EARLY FOODIE REQUEST I HAD IN MIDDLE SCHOOL I THINK. MY PARENTS OBLIGED AN BOUGHT ME A LOVELY CUISINART ICE CREAM MAKER – THE DESIGN HASN’T CHANGED IN 10+ YEARS. AWESOME. This one didn’t happen. No attempt. I think I need to start with sorbet. I don’t really even like ice cream that much..
Recipe Musts (one for each month!):
- LENTIL WALNUT BURGERS Made them and they fell apart. Not a fan.
- CAESAR SALAD PIZZA I forgot about this one. It really should happen soon.
- ZUCCHINI BREAD Negative.
- MAC AND CHEESE LIGHT I didn’t use the exact recipe, but made a wonderful cauliflower mac. That counts.
- HG MIRACLE MASHIES Whoops.
- SHRIMP SCAMPI Seriously, I forgot about these recipes.
- TLAYUDA Next.
- LEMONY-ZUCCHINI GOAT CHEESE PIZZA I fell off the wagon on this list. However I did make a zucchini pizza.
- MUSHROOM MARSALA PASTA WITH ARTICHOKES Doesn’t even appeal to me anymore.
- ARTICHOKE, SPINACH & FETA STUFFED SHELLS I made a similar artichoke pasta, so i’m saying i achieved this.
- HOMEMADE GNOCCI – SWEET POTATO OR MARIO BATALI’S VERSION Attempted, but failed.
- VEGAN PASTA FROM OH SHE GLOWS .. OR JUST SOMETHING DELICIOUSLY VEGAN. I made her avocado pasta… and didn’t like it.
- JOURNAL AT LEAST TWICE/WEEK. I mentioned in Q1 that I didn’t care for this one much. I can’t blog regularly, how can I journal regularly?
- READ ONE BOOK/MONTH – READ BEFORE BED? AT THE GYM? IN THE CAR? Oh I rocked it out with books this year. According to my Goodreads account I read 70 books this year. Holy cow. Thank you books on CD and kindle. I would not have done it without you <3.
- VISIT MY FAMILY’S LAKE HOUSE IN VERMONT OVER THE SUMMER. [CAN'T BELIEVE THIS IS ACTUALLY A GOAL... BUT I DIDN'T MAKE IT A PRIORITY LAST YEAR WITH MY MOVE AND SPENT A YEAR AWAY FROM HOME FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER] Did it! Got home twice this year. Had the best time both times.
- EMBRACE THE PHONE. I DISLIKE PHONE CALLS. BUT, DUE TO MY STRONG DISLIKE FOR PHONE CALLS, I NEGLECT FRIENDSHIPS. WELL THAT IS STUPID, ISN’T IT? I LOVE MY FRIENDS. I WANT TO HEAR FROM THEM. EMBRACE THE (I)PHONE. I’m working on it. I did it more in 2012, but still recognize that I’m not the best when it comes to phone calls. I am however talking to my parents daily now which has been wonderful.
So here I am. 2013 upon me. I have a lovely dinner ahead of me with friends, and couldn’t be more excited. I’m not going to lie, as much as this list shows me what I have done, I know that 2013 is going to be a big year for me. It will be a year of yet another likely job change (as I will graduate from my program), hopefully a trip to see my family on the West coast, and one where I am focusing on me.
It wasn’t an easy year in terms of my love life or in some ways personal life. There were some bumps but those are inevitable in anyone’s life. I’m just looking forward to a fresh start and a new year. So with that said, here is my shortened goals list for 2013:
- Maintain regular fitness 4x/week.
- Run a 10k.
- Make lunch 3x/week (and same some $$).
- Use my new life planner!
- Make a Cauliflower pizza crust.
- Continue to read at least 1 book/month.
- Kick bagels out for good.
- Drink more decaf tea and water.
- Incorporate yoga into my life, even if its just with that silly yoga app on my Macbook.
- Dentist: 2x. I had the absolute WORST experience this year, but I have an appointment scheduled this month, regardless. I will overcome fear of the dentist.
Whatever and wherever you are this NYE I hope you have a splendid time. Please be safe out there and enjoy all those that you love!